Binod Chaudhary is a Nepalese business, industrialist and the chairman of Chaudhary group. He is the first, and only Nepalese billionaire as listed in Forbes.
Chaudhary has stakes on the CG group that is mostly famous for multi national brand wai wai. Besides, he has also hands on different business and investments included a stake on Nabil bank. His conglomerate also includes an investment on sectors like electronics, beer and cement. He also has chains of hotels and plans to extend his factory for CG foods on Serbia, Saudi Arabia and Bangladesh. Additionally he also plans to establish a hotel chain in Sri Lanka, Rwanda and plans to add up a new Taj Safari lodge on Chitwan National Park.
Binod Chaudhary also has helped government and social sectors. His CG foundation pledged $2.5 millions to build schools after the devastating earthquake in Nepal.
Early Life and Binod Chaudhary house
Binod Chaudhary, whose parents hails from India, was born in Kathmandu to Lunkaran Das and Ganga Devi Chaudhary. His grandfather owned a small textile business which his father Lunkarna Das carved to the first department arcade in Nepal, Arun Emporium. This provided arcade for ladies, gents and electronic items and was first of its kind in Nepal.
Later his father had his hands on a construction company which was responsible for the construction of Janakpur Cigarette factory, Kathmandu Trishuli road and first phase of the famous soaltee hotel.
It was at the age of 18 when Lunkarna Das got ill and Binod Chaudhary had to put a halt on his studies and looked after his father’s business which started his journey as a Billionaire.
Despite of being an native Indian, Binod Chaudhary has his house in Nepal and is a Nepalese Citizen. He is married to Sarika Chaudhary and has three Children in their name.
Binod Chaudhary Net Worth and Property
Binod Chaudhary is the first and the sole Billionaire from Nepal. He was first listed in the Forbes’ Billionaire list back in 2014 and has been included regularly in the updated list since then in 2015 and 2016 respectively. He ranked 1415 in 2015 and 1577 in Billionaires (2016).
|Original Name||Binod Chaudhary|
|Net Worth||$1.4 Billion|
|Income Source||Business and Investments|
His total net worth in the year 2016 is $1.17 Billion and majority of the income comes from his business that includes in the CG group. Majority of which comes from noodles, electronics and some other chains that he runs on Nepal.
Some Binod Chaudhary Facts
- Beside business, he is also a social activist and a philanthropist. His company has helped and made significant contribution in the sectors of health, education, youth and employment. His movement includes Gyan Udaya Scholarship that has provided a full or partial scholarship to more than 350 students in Nepal. Additionally Samata Siksha Niketan is a part of campaign run by CG foundation that has provided a support worth 3.5$ Million in education.
- Binod Chaudhary’s youngest son Rahul Chaudhary was married to Saurabhi Khaitan in Jaipur through a three day event and attracted lots of media attention from Nepal and all over the world. The marriage attracted presence of different known powerful persons and celebrities like former Maldives President, congress leaders and high delegates from Bangladesh. Actor Vinod Khanna was also spotted in Jaipur for the marriage as he ws present to pass his blessings to the groom and the bride.
- Binod Chaudhary is the first and the only Forbes listed Billionaire from Nepal. He was first listed as the Billionaire in the Forbes in 2014 and is in the list since then. His rank improved in 2015 while it dropped again in 2016 update at a net worth value or $1.14 Billion United States dollar.
- Nepal’s only Billionaire started his business journey when he had to sacrifice his studies to look after his father’s business at the age of 18. He now owns more than 80 companies in more than 20 countries and has established a multinational brand Wai Wai in Nepal, that has plants in many countries in Asia and other continents. This is why he is also known as the ‘noodles king’.
- Chaudhary was also the member of Nepal’s parliament from 2008 to 2012. He entered the parliament as an independent of any political party. He was also considered to be close to monarchy back when Nepal was ruled by the king. He also became the youngest president of Federation of Nepalese Chambers of Commerce and Industry aged 35.
- He is an admirer of of Richard Branson, a business tycoon who is worth $5.2 billion and a disciple of spiritual leader Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.
- It is believed that Binod Chaudhary did not fund his son Nirvana Chaudhary while he was in London for his higher studies. Despite being a son to a Billionaire dad, Binod is believed to not fund his son in order to realize the struggle and learn the life. It was nothing about their relationship which remains cool and calm, but Nirvana worked himself in London to fund his studies. Later on his blog, Nirvana has mentioned his struggle in London where he did not eat for some time. Nirvana worked as a waiter in a Nepalese restaurant while studying in United Kingdom. Nirvana also planned to start his own business, however he was denied for capital investment.
- A local journalist from Nepal was arrested for posting a report on Facebook wall as Binod Chaudhary’s son Nirvana filed a complaint stating that the Facebook post ruined his reputation. The journalist from Share Bazar weekly, Dinesh Acharya was held into custody after he posted about Nirvana’s relation with his wife.
Outlining his Business Timeline
The business started with Arun emporium from a textile business and it was also the first department arcade in Nepal. The timeline then includes United Builders and Pashupati Biscuits. It was in 1992 when he added business like Impact International, Himalayan International, Marketing Associates Pvt. Ltd, United Finance Pvt. Ltd.
It was in 2012 when Binod Chaudhary put his hands on CG electronics which is one of the biggest electronics venture in Nepal. Mr Binod Chaudhary started his investment on Foods in 1993 with the name Shree Mahalaxmi Nutritious Foods Pvt. Ltd.
He has been actively involved in social works and donations through Chaudhary foundation which was established in 1995.